A well-manicured lawn is something to be proud of. It can set your house apart and tell the neighbors who’s boss. It takes more than just a lawnmower to keep your lawn looking great though. Buying the best lawn edger will give your yard the crisp, stately look that’s bound to draw attention and admiration.
Edgers work great around your sidewalk, driveway, and patio to remove pesky overgrowth. Pretty soon, you will be the envy of the block.
A good lawn edger is easy to use and requires little maintenance. Depending on the size of your yard, you might want to go for either an electric or gas-powered option.
We put together a list of the top products on the market to help you make the correct choice. Read on to find out more about our picks for the best lawn edgers and what we have to say about them.
- The 12 Best Lawn Edgers:
- 1. Worx WG163.8 GT 3.0 20V PowerShare 12″ Cordless String Trimmer & Edger
- 2. BLACK+DECKER LSTE525 20V MAX Lithium Easy Feed String Trimmer/Edger
- 3. McLane 101-5.5GT-7 Gas Powered Lawn Edger
- 4. Greenworks Pro 80V 8″ Brushless Edger
- 5. Ryobi P2300A ONE+ 9 in. 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Edger
- 6. Earthquake 23275 Walk-Behind Landscape and Lawn Edger with 79cc 4-Cycle Engine
- 7. EGO Power+ ME0800 8-Inch Edger
- 8. WORX WG896 12 Amp 7.5″ Electric Lawn Edger & Trencher
- 9. Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger
- 10. BLACK+DECKER MTC200 3-in-1 Lawn Mower, String Trimmer, and Edger
- 11. Greenworks 12 Amp Electric Corded Edger 27032
- 12. Scotts Outdoor Power Tools ED70012S 11-Amp 3-Position Corded Electric Lawn Edger
- What to Look for in a Good Lawn Edger
- How Big Is Your Lawn? Do You Have Lots of Areas That Need to Be Gone Over With an Edger?
- What Benefits You More, Electric, Gas-Powered, or Hand Tools?
The 12 Best Lawn Edgers:
The Worx WG163.6 GT uses a rapidly rotating string to slice into the ground and make clean lines and borders in your yard. This tool doubles as both a string trimmer and lawn edger, meaning there will be that much more space in your garage. The string cuts a 12-inch diameter of grass to make yard work fast and effortless.
The Worx WG163 string trimmer also weighs in at less than six pounds. This is a great tool if you are looking for an adaptable “do anything” multi-tool that can give your lawn great edges.
The 20 volt Power Share battery also functions with other Worx cordless power tools. A spacer guard around the back and side of the trim line protects garden plants and lawn furniture from any damage.
The handle is fully adjustable for comfort and convenience. Another great user-friendly feature is the button-operated line feed. Unlike many older models of a trimmer, the Worx WG163 gives out more line with the simple push of a button. No more fiddling around to get your line out.
We highly recommend the WG163 to anyone who is looking for versatility in their tool. It is also a great option for those who have limited garage space and need to reduce the overall amount of tools they store. A lawn edger/trimmer is a great solution to multiple yard work needs, however, the edger is not as easy to control as other options on this list.
- Lightweight, ergonomic design
- Cordless operation for total freedom
- Multiple uses, multifunctional battery
- High user rating
- Lawn edger function takes experience to control well
- 20v isn’t as strong as other options
2. BLACK+DECKER LSTE525 20V MAX Lithium Easy Feed String Trimmer/Edger
Black+Decker has been providing people with quality home and garden tools for over 50 years. They are a well-renowned brand known for making high-quality power tools.
The Black+Decker LSTE525 Trimmer/ Edger is a part of their Power Connect line of home and garden tools. The battery will work with any other tool in this line.
The LSTE525 is a line feed trimmer which also converts to a wheeled edger. It has a two-speed control which allows you to adjust the rotation of the line to suit your current need.
Black+Decker designed the LSTE525 with their own Easy Feed technology, which allows you to release more line with the press of a button. This a big improvement over previous designs, which forced you to bump the trimmer on the ground to feed out more line.
We love the versatility of this trimmer/edger. You will too if you’re looking for a lawn edger that can also help clear weeds and overgrowths.
It comes with two batteries included, so you will never have to worry about needing to recharge in the middle of edging your lawn. The high-quality foam grip on the handle is a nice touch and helps you avoid sore hands after an operation. The adjustable height makes it easy for anyone of any stature to use.
- Feature-packed design
- Multifunctional battery
- Wheeled lawn edger mode
- High user rating
- Line feed needs to be replaced often
3. McLane 101-5.5GT-7 Gas Powered Lawn Edger
McLane makes high-quality lawn and farm tools in the USA. They take pride in building products that are made to last, and every one of their products is fully serviceable.
The McLane 101-5.5GT-7 is a precision lawn edger that uses a rotating blade to cut clean edges around curbs. This is your ideal lawn edger if you want the most precise edges and have a lot of lawn to cover.
Being a gas-powered lawn edger, it has a lot of power. It will cut through even the most obstinate of overgrowth like butter. The 101-5.5GT-7 operates using 4 rubber tires mounted on ball-bearing wheels. It is very smooth to push.
The blade cuts both vertically and horizontally. This means it can also be used as a trimmer. The 9” spring steel blade is protected by a metal cover and meets US safety standards for lawn and garden equipment.
We recommend this lawn edger if you are looking for a high powered, precision lawn edger. However, it is large and more expensive than other options. Many professional landscapers choose McLane tools due to their standout quality.
- Durable design will last a lifetime
- Precision edging
- Powerful blade
- Made in the USA
4. Greenworks Pro 80V 8″ Brushless Edger
If you have ever used a brushless drill or power tool, you know the benefits of a brushless motor. They provide higher torque and generally make the job faster. The Greenworks Pro 80V 8” Brushless Edger is no exception. You will find it to run a lot more efficiently than other edgers which use traditional brush driven motors.
The 8” blade cuts smoothly and reliably, producing markedly clean edges around your whole lawn. It has a strong 80V lithium battery which retains its capacity for more charges.
One downside is that standard units do not come with a battery, they must be purchased separately. The Greenworks Pro 80v brushless edger comes with a 4-year warranty against any mechanical defects.
Like many other models in its price range, the Greenworks Pro 80v comes with an adjustable handle and ergonomic grip. We recommend this edger for those who need intensive edging but want an electric option. You can really feel the power this machine puts out.
- Heavy-duty battery is powerful and retains charge longer
- A Brushless motor increases torque
- The battery is multipurpose and works with other Greenworks tools
- Ergonomic design
- Battery and charger are purchased separately
5. Ryobi P2300A ONE+ 9 in. 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Edger
Ryobi is another brand that is well known for their power tools. The P2300A is a part of their ONE+ line of cordless power tools. This extensive line of tools shares the same battery packs, so you can use your ONE+ batteries on your cordless drill, sander, leaf blower, and edger.
This edger features a dual front and rear wheel design for added stability during use. It can be adjusted for people of different heights as well. It also features an adjustable handle. The dual serrated 9-inch blade will cut deep edges.
The Ryobi P2300A ONE+ edger comes with standard safety features. The blade is covered by a shield to keep debris from flying up. The trigger has a safety clutch to avoid accidents.
- Multipurpose battery works with all Ryobi ONE+ products
- Adjustable design
- Dual wheels for stability
- Attractive price
- 18V battery isn’t as strong as others
6. Earthquake 23275 Walk-Behind Landscape and Lawn Edger with 79cc 4-Cycle Engine
If you have a lot of serious edging jobs to complete, this is another good option to consider. The Earthquake 23275 edger is a four-wheeled edger with loads of extra features. Backed up by a 5-year warranty and reliable 79cc centrifugal engine, this is one edger that you can put your complete trust in.
The 9-inch spring steel blade can be used vertically, horizontally, and in four more angles to finish any job. There is a large tool holder at the handle where you can store small garden tools as you edge your lawn. Behind the blade, there is a chain guard. Along with the blade guard, the chain guard protects you from any debris.
You can easily control the depth of the blade when using this edger. It is also able to tackle smaller trenching jobs like installing fences or running electrical wire.
- Strong, reliable engine
- 5-year warranty
- Many configurations
- Safety focused
7. EGO Power+ ME0800 8-Inch Edger
The EGO Power+ ME0800 8-Inch Edger is a modular attachment head for the Ego Power+ multi-head system. That means you won’t be able to use it unless you already have the system base. That said, the EGO Power+ multi-head system is a great way to minimize the amount of power tools you have in your garage. We recommend it for anyone who has a small garage.
The ME0800 head uses a brushless motor to maximize efficiency. It is also built with an ipx4 water resistant rating. The batteries are 56V lithium-ion, so they are strong and durable.
This edger features an 8-inch blade, with a maximum of 3 inches of depth. It has an easily adjustable guide wheel to help you work along any curb.
Because the EGO Power+ multi-head system features over 50 modular tools, we recommend this edger mostly to someone interested in using the other tools in the Power+ range.
- The modular system saves space and money in the long run
- A strong battery makes edging easy
- Adjustable guide wheel for setting different depths
- A Brushless motor increases torque
- Water-resistant construction
- Battery and body are sold separately
8. WORX WG896 12 Amp 7.5″ Electric Lawn Edger & Trencher
The WORX WG896 is a corded electric lawn edger which can also be used for small trenching jobs. It is packed with tons of features to make edging easier. The line guide will allow you to cut the cleanest, most professional looking lines from the start.
The 12 Amp motor is plenty strong to ensure that you will be able to edge out your lawn quickly and easily. It has an adjustable height in order to provide different settings depending on the job.
Other standard features include an adjustable shaft and grip. One downside of the WORX WG896 is that it is not suitable for wet conditions.
- Multifunctional for both edging and trenching
- Strong 12 Amp motor makes edging a breeze
- Corded means batteries never run out
- Guide line to help cut perfect edges
- Adjustable grip and shaft
- Doesn’t work in wet conditions
- The corded model means a limited range
9. Truper 32100 Tru Tough Rotary Lawn Edger
Some people find beauty in simplicity. If you are one of them, then the Truper 32100 Tru Tough edger is for you. It uses an old school hand-powered design to cut edges using dual blades.
Since there are no electrical or gas-powered parts, there is virtually nothing that can go wrong with it. Of course, if something does go wrong Truper backs up their 32100 with a ten-year free replacement warranty anyways.
The 48-inch North American Ash lacquered handle is both tough and handsome. This edger definitely looks a lot more rustic than the others we mentioned on this list. You might want to consider the Tru Tough if you appreciate the classic style of hand tools used by ranchers in days past.
It won’t cut through lawn as easily as other edgers, but that’s part of the trade-off you get knowing this will probably last a lifetime. One side benefit is that after using the Tru Tough, your arms will look great from gripping it.
- Extremely durable hand-powered design
- The most affordable option we found
- Lightweight and small
- Looks great alongside other hand tools
- 10-year free replacement warranty
- Harder to use than motored options
- No height adjustment on blades
10. BLACK+DECKER MTC200 3-in-1 Lawn Mower, String Trimmer, and Edger
The second BLACK+DECKER edger we chose for our top 12 edgers, the MTC200 is a multifunctional tool that can tackle a lot of your yard work. Just like the LSTE525, the MTC200 runs on Power Connect 20V lithium-ion rechargeable batteries. These batteries will also power any other tools in the BLACK+DECKER Power Connect line.
This edger uses a modular design to accomplish more than just edging and trimming. The string trimmer attaches onto a four-wheeled base in order to transform into a lawnmower. When in lawn mower mode, the height can be adjusted to your preference.
The string is fed automatically during use to reduce the amount of time you spend adjusting your line. It cuts in a wide 12-inch diameter to make mowing and trimming faster and easier. The unit comes with two 20v Power Connect lithium batteries, a wall charger, and a spool of string line.
The BLACK+DECKER MTC200 is a lightweight option. We recommend it for you if you have a smaller lawn and less space in your garage. The 3 in 1 functionality is great for storing small.
- Great value with 3 in 1 functionality
- Adjustable shaft for comfort
- Multipurpose batteries work with other BLACK+DECKER power tools
- The auto-feed system keeps line coming out as you work
- 20V battery isn’t as strong as others on this list
- Line feed needs to be continually replaced
11. Greenworks 12 Amp Electric Corded Edger 27032
The Greenworks 27032 runs on home electricity and uses a standard power cable. This means no recharging batteries mid-job and no worrying about gasoline.
It features a 7.5 double-edged blade to help you keep tidy and crisp edges. The blade will also last longer due to its design.
This edger has a spring-loaded front wheel for when you are taking it over rough terrain. The 12 Amp motor provides enough power to make all your edging work headache-free.
The handle features an integrated cord lock you keep your power cable securely in place. Other standard features include an adjustable handle and height adjustment on the blades.
We recommend this edger if you don’t want to fuss around with batteries or gasoline. It’s a good eco-friendly alternative that still makes edging easy and hassle-free. Greenworks backs up the 27032 corded edger with a four-year warranty against any defects.
- The double-edged blade is durable and efficient
- An affordable option for those who want a wheeled edger
- 12 amp motor is strong and quiet
- Corded electricity is reliable
- Sturdy design and easy operation
- Cords can limit the range
12. Scotts Outdoor Power Tools ED70012S 11-Amp 3-Position Corded Electric Lawn Edger
This is another great contender if you’re in the market for a corded lawn edger. The Scotts Outdoor Power Tools ED70012S is a reliable and affordable option that doesn’t skimp on features.
The 11 Amp motor provides comparable power to smaller gas-powered lawn edgers. It is strong enough to cut edges in your yard effortlessly.
The 7.5-inch blade can be set at three separate depths depending on your needs. This lawn edger can also do small trenching jobs when set at the lowest depth.
It has other user-friendly features including adjustable height and a cord lock to keep you from accidentally unplugging during use. It has a sturdy three-wheeled design, allowing you to use it without worrying that it will tip and create uneven edges.
The Scotts Outdoor Power Tools ED70012S is a great budget-friendly corded lawn edger option. It’s also backed up by a three-year warranty in case there are any defects.
- Corded design is simple to use and doesn’t require recharging
- The trenching option helps complete more tasks faster
- 11 Amp motor makes edging fast and easy
- Attractive price with a good array of features
- No ergonomic foam on the handle
What to Look for in a Good Lawn Edger
Before you decide on which edger you want to pick, ask yourself some questions about what you need. It can help you narrow down your options.
How Big Is Your Lawn? Do You Have Lots of Areas That Need to Be Gone Over With an Edger?
The bigger your lawn is, the more powerful you will need your edger to be. Alternatively, if you have a small lawn you might want to pick something simpler and lighter since you won’t have as much edging to do.
What Benefits You More, Electric, Gas-Powered, or Hand Tools?
Each of these types of lawn tool come with their own pros and cons.
Gas is generally more powerful than electric, but it’s also loud and fuel is expensive.
Electric battery-powered edgers are clean and quiet, but the charges will run out often.
Corded electric provides more power than batteries, and they don’t need to be charged. You won’t want to use them in wet weather for safety reasons though.
Hand powered edgers require the most labor of any edger, but they are virtually indestructible.
You may also want to consider other factors, like your budget, storage space, and whether you have battery compatible power tools.
Lawn edgers are great tools for keeping your lawn looking beautiful and cared for. We love them for their easy operation. Whatever your individual needs, we hope you found some help in determining the right lawn edger.
There are plenty of great options available for all different kinds of lawn. Having a well-manicured property is easier than ever.