Having a lush, green lawn undoubtedly takes work; and part of that work is making sure that your grass is well-watered. Oscillating sprinklers are great for small to medium-sized lawns and provide grass with a steady, light stream (or streams) of arched water. These are the most commonly used sprinklers by homeowners — and for good reason.
In this article, we’ll be taking a look at the 10 Best Oscillating Sprinklers on the market today, as well as providing you with a helpful buying guide to assist you in choosing the right sprinkler for you.
- The 10 Best Oscillating Sprinklers:
- 1. Melnor Turbo Oscillator with 2-Way Adjustment and Timer
- 2. GARDENA 1975 Aquazoom 3900-Square Foot Oscillating Sprinkler
- 3. Aqua Joe SJI-TLS18 3-Way Turbo Oscillation Lawn Sprinkler
- 4. Dramm ColorStorm Premium Metal Oscillating Sprinkler
- 5. Brizer Oscillating Lawn Sprinkler
- 6. Rocky Mountain Goods Metal Oscillating Lawn Sprinkler
- 7. Green Thumb Heavy Duty Metal Oscillating Sprinkler
- 8. Melnor MiniMax Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler (Our Top Pick)
- 9. Orbit 56281 Oscillating Metal Base and Custom Pattern Dial
- 10. Eden 94112 Variable Width 3-Way Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler
- Oscillating Sprinkler Buying Guide
- Final Thoughts
The 10 Best Oscillating Sprinklers:
1. Melnor Turbo Oscillator with 2-Way Adjustment and Timer
This 2-way adjustable oscillating sprinkler is affordable and covers quite a bit of ground. It features 20 rubber nozzles along with the sprinkler that provides up to 4,500 square feet of water coverage and water sprays out in a fanned arch.
Both the watering width and watering range can be adjusted to three different modes. For watering width, you can select to water from the Front, Back, or Front and Back sides of the sprinkler. For the watering range, you can set the sprinkler to water to the Left, Right, or Left and Right sides of the sprinkler.
The customization of the Melnor Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler makes it a great option for small and medium-sized yards or yards with features that you don’t want to get wet, such as walkways or outdoor furniture.
Another great feature of the Melnor is the Manual Timer. The Timer can be set to water continuously for up to 2 hours, and automatically shuts off after the desired time has ended. This oscillator also has a removable and cleanable filter washer, so that you can remove any stuck debris, and keep your sprinkler functioning properly.
What We Like:
- 2-way oscillating sprinkler can water in multiple directions
- Watering width and watering range are both adjustable (3 settings each)
- Covers up to 4,500 square feet of yard
- Has 20 rubber nozzles that push water out in smooth, fanned-out streams
- Has a manual timer that automatically shuts off when the time ends
- Filter washer can be removed and cleaned
- Comes with a nozzle cleaner to remove any debris
2. GARDENA 1975 Aquazoom 3900-Square Foot Oscillating Sprinkler
Though the Gardena Oscillating Sprinkler is a bit on the expensive side, the quality is pretty phenomenal, and it looks as though this sprinkler would last through quite a few years of regular use.
It has an adjustable coverage of as low as 301.4 square feet of yard, up to 3,767.4 square feet. Like the previous oscillating sprinkler, the Gardena’s watering width and watering length can both be adjusted to the user’s liking. The watering width can be adjusted between 13 and an amazing 55 feet, while the watering length can be adjusted between 23 and 65 feet.
It features 18 nozzles that spurt out individual, lightweight streams and together form a fan of water that evenly distributes across the lawn. The streams are steady and soft enough for even the most delicate gardens. The direction and width of the stream is adjustable to make this a versatile option that is suitable for both small and medium-sized backyards.
What We Like:
- Made of high-quality materials that result in a long-lasting sprinkler
- Both the watering width and length can be adjusted
- Total coverage between 301.4 to 3,767.4 square feet of lawn
- Watering width can be adjusted between 13 and 55 feet
- Watering length can be adjusted between 23 and 65 feet
- Great for rectangular yards or gardens
- Suitable for all sized backyards and gardens
- 18 nozzles
- Adjustable direction and width of the stream
3. Aqua Joe SJI-TLS18 3-Way Turbo Oscillation Lawn Sprinkler
Featuring completely customizable sprinkler patterns, the Aqua Joe Oscillation Lawn Sprinkler is an affordable and versatile oscillating sprinkler. It has a large width range of 4,500 square feet of lawn and is made of durable, leak-resistant construction.
This oscillating sprinkler is best suited for medium to large-sized lawns and features 18 individual nozzles that spray out steady streams of water. The nozzles are clog-resistant to prevent dirt, grass blades, insects, and other debris from clogging the flow of your sprinkler.
Both the range and the shape of the water flow can be adjusted to best suit the size and shape of your yard or garden.
What We Like:
- Has an exceptional width range of 4,500 square feet of grass
- Made of durable materials
- Leak-resistant construction and connector
- Customizable sprinkler patterns to best water your lawn size and shape
- The range of the water can be adjusted to your liking
4. Dramm ColorStorm Premium Metal Oscillating Sprinkler
Made of a simple, classic design and available in 6 different colors, the Dramm Colorstorm Premium Metal Oscillating Sprinkler is a high-quality, personalized option. Purchase the Dramm in Blue, Green, Orange, Red, Yellow, or Berry (or bright purple).
The variable setting of the Dramm Oscillating Sprinkler allows you to water your backyard up to 3,036 square feet. Water shoots out of the sprinkler out of 18 brass, high-quality nozzles in a steady, light stream that makes this Oscillating Sprinkler ideal for all yard and garden types. However, unlike other sprinkler options on our list, the Dramm doesn’t have clog-resistant nozzles. This oscillating sprinkler comes with a nozzle needle to clean out debris manually.
The Zinc and Brass construction of these sprinklers makes for a durable, long-lasting sprinkler that is rust-resistant and sure to last the user for years. Both the coverage and the intensity of the water streams can be adjusted with simple dials.
What We Like:
- Adjustable coverage and water flow intensity to accommodate your yard best
- Comes in 6 colors (blue, green, red, yellow, purple)
- Water coverage up to 3,036 square feet of backyard
- 18 brass nozzles
- Rust-resistant construction
- Made of Zinc and Brass
- High-quality and long-lasting
5. Brizer Oscillating Lawn Sprinkler
The Brizer Oscillating Lawn Sprinkler is an affordable, sturdy option, made of metal materials and hard plastic. It’s available in two shades of blue, Teal and Aqua, and features gentle water flow out of 20 nozzles to water any size and shape backyard with even the most delicate of grass or plants. To use the sprinkler, you simply place it in the area you want to water, attach your hose, turn on the faucet, and you’re ready to go!
The range of the Brizer can be adjusted and can water a garden or lawn up to 3,000 square feet. The dial located on the top of the sprinkler allows the user to adjust the sprinkler to spray left or right and in a narrow width or the full width, making this oscillating sprinkler versatile. Be sure to set the appropriate direction and width for your yard before turning on the water.
Though other oscillating sprinklers on the market have non-clogging nozzles and features, the Brizer will have to be unclogged by hand, using the included nozzle cleaner.
What We Like:
- Doesn’t self clean the nozzles, however, it comes with a nozzle cleaner to remove any debris
- Affordable option
- The available colors are bright and easily noticeable in the grass
- A breeze to install — simply attach the water hose and turn it on
- The width and direction of the water flow is adjustable to perfectly suit your yard size and shape
- Gentle streams make this a great option for delicate gardens and lawns
- The sprinkler can water up to 3,000 square feet of lawn or garden bed
- Features 20 nozzles
- Made of metal and hard plastic materials for a long-lasting product
6. Rocky Mountain Goods Metal Oscillating Lawn Sprinkler
Made of mostly aluminum, the Rocky Mountain Goods Metal Oscillating Lawn Sprinkler is one that will most assuredly stand up to the test of time. Unlike plastic alternatives, you won’t have to worry about this sprinkler cracking after years of use under the sun or easily breaking. It’s also rust-proof, so even after years of usage, it will still look brand new.
The aluminum base is a tad heavier than its plastic counterparts, keeping this sprinkler in place without risking tipping over. The tube is made of hard plastic, but it does feature 20 nozzles for evenly distributing water.
The Rocky Mountain Goods Oscillating Sprinkler is highly adjustable and can water up to 4,100 square feet of lawn or garden. It features a Flow Control Knob to adjust the intensity of the water flow, Switches to adjust the watering width so that you can water even the narrowest patches of land, and Range Control Sliding Tabs that easily adjust the pattern of the water.
A downside to this oscillating sprinkler is that the nozzles are not resistant to clogging, meaning they won’t clean themselves like other sprinklers on our list. However, it does come with a nozzle cleaning tool to remove any stuck debris quickly and efficiently by hand.
What We Like:
- Comes with a nozzle cleaning tool
- Highly adjustable option. Can adjust water width, intensity, and pattern to your liking
- Has the ability to water up to 4,100 square feet of garden or lawn
- Features 20 nozzles for even water distribution
- Aluminum base is rust-resistant
- Made of mostly metal materials for a long-lasting product
- Heavier than other oscillating sprinklers on the market — won’t easily tip over
- Simple to install
7. Green Thumb Heavy Duty Metal Oscillating Sprinkler
Another metal oscillating sprinkler option on our list, the Green Thumb Heavy Duty Metal Oscillating Sprinkler is constructed with a heavy, all-aluminum base. The base is rust-resistant, and heavy enough to keep the sprinkler in place without the fear of it tipping over and creating a muddy mess around the base of the sprinkler.
The Green Thumb Sprinkler has the ability to water an area of up to 3,900 square feet, and 18 clog-resistant nozzles to prevent debris from getting inside the tube of the sprinkler. Though it’s unlikely that you’ll need to use it, the Green Thumb Oscillating Sprinkler comes with a nozzle cleaner to remove any stubborn debris. The gentle watering pattern of the Green Thumb makes this sprinkler ideal for delicate lawns and gardens.
This is also an exceptionally adjustable oscillating sprinkler. The range, width, and intensity of the water flow can all be adjusted to the user’s preferences, giving them the ability to water narrow lawns, wide lawns, or just one area of the lawn that is looking duller than the rest.
The width control determines how wide of a “fan” you want, while the range control determines which sides of the sprinkler the water will come from; Narrow (or out of the top of the sprinkler only), Full (out of all sides of the sprinkler), or Half (out of only half of the sprinkler).
What We Like:
- A metal, heavy-duty sprinkler that won’t tip, crack, or rust
- Surprisingly affordable for the quality
- Can cover a lawn or garden up to 3,900 square feet
- Gentle water flow for delicate plants or grasses
- Features 18 clog-resistant nozzles and comes with a nozzle cleaner for stubborn debris
- Highly adjustable — can adjust the range, width, and intensity of the water flow to meet your specific backyard watering needs
8. Melnor MiniMax Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler (Our Top Pick)
A unique twist on the classic oscillating sprinkler, the Melnor MiniMax Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler has the most adjustability out of all of the sprinklers in our review. It features a 360-degree pivoting watering head so that you can water an area just right, and is ultra-compact to make it easier to carry around and adjust.
Aside from the head adjustability, you can control the range, width, and intensity (or overall area coverage) of the water flow. You can adjust the Range to water Left, Right, or Both; adjust the Width to water Frontwards, Backwards, or Both; and adjust the Flow to Increase or Decrease the overall area that you want the sprinkler to water. This sprinkler is perfect for covering both large areas and narrow areas and prevents you from wasting water on sidewalks due to its incredible adjustability.
You can purchase this sprinkler on a sled, or wide base, to sit on top of the ground like a traditional oscillating sprinkler. You can also purchase the Melnor MiniMax on a Step-Spike, to secure it into the ground for a more permanent solution to your watering needs. Lastly, you can buy this fantastic sprinkler on a Tripod, for hilly or harder-to-water lawns and garden beds.
What We Like:
- The most adjustable, compact oscillating sprinkler in our review
- Head moves 360 degrees to get the perfect watering angle for your lawn
- Range, width, and the overall area of the sprinkler can be adjusted
- The range adjusts Left, Right, or Both
- Width adjusts Frontwards, Backwards, or Both
- Increase or Decrease the overall area that the sprinkler covers
- Great for both narrow and wide lawns
- Easy to install
- Comes on a tripod, step-spike, or sled, depending on your preferences and needs
- Exceptionally affordable for the quality and features
9. Orbit 56281 Oscillating Metal Base and Custom Pattern Dial
Yet another oscillating sprinkler with a metal base, the Orbit Oscillating Sprinkler is a heavy-duty, long-lasting option with the ability to cover 4,000 square feet of lawn or garden with a gentle water flow.
This is a rectangular oscillating sprinkler and has fewer adjustability options than previous sprinklers on our list. Nevertheless, the Orbit Sprinkler allows you to adjust the spray distance with easy-to-use sliding tabs. It features 19 clog-resistant nozzles for even water distribution and is overall a-okay, classic oscillating sprinkler.
If you’re looking for an oscillating sprinkler with average features and classic usage, this is it. There’s really not much to it other than a simple installation, even water distribution, and the only adjustment option of spray distance.
What We Like:
- Made with metal materials, including a sturdy metal base to prevent tipping
- Easy to install
- A classic oscillating sprinkler
- Simple without too many “bells and whistles”
- Features 19 clog-resistant nozzles
- Spray distance is adjustable
- Can cover a garden or lawn up to 4,000 square feet with a rectangular, gentle stream
10. Eden 94112 Variable Width 3-Way Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler
Last, but not least, the Eden Variable Width 3-Way Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler is the final heavy-duty oscillating sprinkler option on our list. It comes in two variations of the same product; an 18-nozzle, hard plastic option, and a 20-nozzle metal option (with the metal option being twice as expensive as the hard plastic).
This oscillating sprinkler is super easy to install, features a leak-proof connector, and is relatively adjustable to control the flow to meet your garden’s needs. You can control the flow, range, and width of this sprinkler. Set the flow to an increased or decreased area to best suit your yard. Adjust the range to water frontwards, backwards, or both; and adjust the width to water left, right, or both.
On both varieties of the Eden Turbo Sprinkler, the base is weighted for stability so that you won’t have to worry about tipping and water pooling and muddying up your yard.
What We Like:
- Weighted base
- Comes in two varieties
- Sturdy and made of heavy-duty materials
- Flow, intensity, range, and width can all be adjusted to the user’s liking
- 18 to 20 nozzles for even water distribution
- A gentle stream to not harm delicate grass or plants
Oscillating Sprinkler Buying Guide
In this section of the article, we’ll be taking a quick look at what you should be considering when purchasing an oscillating sprinkler.
This is one of the most important aspects when considering an oscillating sprinkler. If you plan to use your sprinkler often, you’ll want a unit that will withstand continuous use and still hold up for numerous years.
Look for sprinklers made with the majority of metal materials and the fewest plastic materials possible. Metals such as Zinc are great sprinkler components and make for long-lasting sprinklers. Choosing a sprinkler that is made of low-quality materials will end up costing you more money in the long run.
As with anything, you’ll want to find a sprinkler that is within your budget. While you don’t want to spend money on a cheap, low-quality sprinkler, some sprinklers can go for nearly $100, which isn’t ideal for most consumers. Generally, a high-quality sprinkler can be found in the $40 range.
Keep in mind that buying a cheap sprinkler now may end up costing you more money in the long run due to breakage, clogging, and other issues that will result in having to replace the unit. It’s best to invest in a decent sprinkler upfront to avoid potential and unnecessary costs down the line.
Aside from quality, this is the biggest consideration of them all whenever you’re shopping around for an oscillating sprinkler. Oscillating sprinklers have varying ranges at which they can water a lawn. Most oscillating sprinklers have adjustable ranges, which allow you to customize the sprinkler to your lawn size and shape.
While oscillating sprinklers can be used for small yards, they’re generally recommended for medium to large-sized backyards and gardens. This is because these sprinklers can usually water an area of nearly 5,000 square feet at the highest adjustment. Take a close look at the watering range of the sprinkler you’re considering to see if it’s a good fit for your backyard.
When it comes to oscillating sprinklers, these 10 are the best you can find on the market — bar-none. Before you purchase your oscillating sprinkler, there are a few factors you should consider to make sure you’re purchasing the right sprinkler for your needs. Be sure that the range that the sprinkler can water is suitable for the size yard that you have. You’ll also want to buy a sprinkler made with metal parts to ensure that you have a product that will potentially last you years of use.
Overall, all of the sprinklers on our list get the job done and are made with high-quality, lasting materials. However, if we had to choose one, we would recommend the Melnor MiniMax Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler. It’s insanely affordable for its quality and the most adjustable, compact option on our list.
No matter which oscillating sprinkler you choose, we know you’ll get great use out of it!