Succulents are adorable desert plants that are incredibly easy to care for and don’t require much upkeep.
They make excellent starter plants for those who are new to gardening and are also the ideal choice for those whose thumbs aren’t a shade of green.
But even the hardiest plants need certain soil conditions in order to thrive.
This is why, in this article, we’ll be reviewing 12 of the best soils for succulents to promote healthy, long-lasting succulents.
- The 12 Best Soils for Succulents:
- 1. Succulent Planter Soil Kit
- 2. Cactus and Succulent Classic Potting Mix
- 3. Hoffman Organic Cactus and Succulent Soil Mix
- 4. Organic Succulent and Cactus Soil Mix
- 5. Dr. Earth Exotic Cactus & Succulent Soil
- 6. Miracle-Gro Cactus, Palm & Citrus Potting Mix
- 7. Succulent & Cactus Soil Mix – Premium Pre-Mixed Fast Draining Blend
- 8. Sun Gro Horticulture Black Gold Cactus Mix
- 9. All Natural Succulent and Cactus Soil Mix by Perfect Plants
- 10. Fat Plants San Diego Premium Organic Cacti and Succulent Soil
- 11. Bonsai Jack Succulent and Cactus Soil
- 12. Aloe Vera Soil Blend
- Final Thoughts
The 12 Best Soils for Succulents:
1. Succulent Planter Soil Kit
The first succulent soil on our list, this Succulent Planter Soil kit has everything you need to get your succulent plant started. And not only does it have the essentials for keeping a healthy succulent, but it also includes aesthetically appealing features such as moss and rocks to create a lovely DIY terrarium.
This affordable Succulent Planter Kit includes washed pea gravel for drainage and a visual appeal, organic succulent soil with key succulent-essential nutrients, activated charcoal to remove toxins from the soil, smooth river rock for topsoil decoration, and sheet moss to add a little bit of extra life to your succulent terrarium and help to absorb excess moisture.
It also includes a 7-step, easy-to-follow instruction manual to get the most out of the succulent kit and set it up in the most beneficial way for your plant. Keep in mind that a succulent plant is not included with this kit, and will need to be purchased separately at the closest plant nursery.
Overall, the Succulent Planter Soil Kit would make an excellent gift for garden lovers, or as a starter kit for those new to succulent rearing and gardening. It’s simple to use, includes everything you need (aside from the succulent plant), and is budget-friendly.
What We Like:
- Budget-friendly option — affordable for the average consumer
- Includes everything you need to make your succulent happy and healthy (doesn’t include the succulent)
- Comes with an easy-to-follow, 7-step instruction sheet
- Includes attractive terrarium features such as river rocks and colorful moss
- Charcoal for removing toxins
- Organic soil made in the USA
- Perfect for all varieties of succulent and cacti plants
2. Cactus and Succulent Classic Potting Mix
Available in bags of three sizes, this handcrafted, small-business-made Cactus and Succulent Potting Mix can be purchased in a Mini Bag (2 quarts), Junior Bag (4 quarts), or Senior Bag (8 quarts) to meet your succulent gardening needs.
This is an exceptionally high-quality succulent potting mix and for its quality, it’s remarkably affordable for the average consumer. rePotme, the company behind this classic potting mix, ensures quality and freshness by making small batches every day and sealing it in resealable bags for each purchase.
It’s a Coir Based Blend, meaning that the soil is resistant to various pathogens and insects to protect your succulent garden from potential harm. The soil is also rot-resistant, meaning that it properly drains water (while retaining just enough to satisfy the plant) to avoid pooling around the base and roots of the succulent, resulting in root rot and other negative effects.
This classic mix includes coir (or ground coconut husk), pumice, sand, stalite, and perlite; but the most important part of this mix isn’t what is included in it, but rather, what isn’t included. Unlike many succulent potting soils on the market, the Cactus and Succulent Classic Potting Mix doesn’t contain peat moss, which attracts pests such as Fungus Gnats, which may compromise the health of your succulent.
What We Like:
- Can be purchased in bags of 2, 4, or 8 quarts
- Affordable, especially for the quality and quantity that you receive
- Doesn’t contain peat moss, which may attract detrimental pests
- Coir (or ground coconut husk) is resistant to pathogens and insects
- Soil is an excellent choice for succulents due to optimal drainage
- rePotme makes small batches daily to ensure freshness
3. Hoffman Organic Cactus and Succulent Soil Mix
Highly affordable and made of quality, organic ingredients, the Hoffman Organic Cactus and Succulent Soil Mix is a top-notch soil for succulents. It’s available for purchase in a 4-quart pack, a 7-quart pack, an 8-quart pack, and a 14-quart pack. You also have the option to purchase sets of 1 or 2 of the various sizes to best accommodate the size of your garden and succulent soil needs.
It’s both pH balanced and formulated to accommodate Jungle and Desert succulents so that you can use the same soil for a variety of your succulent plants without issue. It’s formulated carefully to allow for optimal water drainage and contains essential nutrients to keep succulents brightly colored and thriving.
This ready-to-use succulent soil comes with user instructions to help you get the most out of your potting soil and provide your succulent plants with the proper environment.
What We Like:
- A highly affordable option, even for those who may be on a tighter budget
- Available for purchase in 4 sizes (4,7,8, and 14 quarts)
- Can purchase various sizes in sets of 1 or 2
- Organically made
- Soil encourages ideal water drainage
- Contains essential nutrients for vibrant color
- Ready-to-use. No mixing needed
- Comes with user instructions
4. Organic Succulent and Cactus Soil Mix
Imported from Denmark and made of nutrient-rich, organic ingredients, The Next Gardener Organic Succulent and Cactus Soil Mix is an affordable, professionally-formulated soil. It’s available for purchase in three sizes including 2 quarts, 4 quarts, and 8 quarts, and is formulated to encourage growth and vibrant colors.
As we know, succulents require optimal draining in order to avoid root rot and drowning. This succulent soil provides outstanding water drainage and is a lightweight soil, as to not pack down and hold excess moisture around the roots or the base of the plant. It has a pH balance of 5.5, making it perfect for both Jungle and Desert succulents, and dries out quickly.
This soil isn’t only great for established succulents, but it’s also great for cuttings, seedlings, and even growing your desert plants from seeds.
What We Like:
- Great for established succulents, as well as cutting, seedlings, and seeds
- Lightweight soil that “bounces back” and won’t pack down, trapping excess water
- Amazing drainage properties
- Made with 100% organic ingredients
- Dries out quickly (which is great for desert plants such as succulents)
- Good for both desert and jungle succulents
- pH balance of 5.5
- Available in 2,4, and 8-quart bags
- Professionally crafted
- Encourages vibrant coloring in succulents
5. Dr. Earth Exotic Cactus & Succulent Soil
The Dr. Earth Exotic Cactus & Succulent Soil is an affordable, organic option available in an 8-quart bag. It’s OMRI (Organic Materials Review Institute) listed and made with ingredients that are safe for both plants, animals, the environment, and your family. This succulent soil is accessible for all drought-tolerant plant life, meaning that it can be used for varieties of desert and jungle succulents.
Though it does contain peat moss, a controversial organic substance due to its unfortunate ability to attract Fungus Gnats, the Dr. Earth Exotic Cactus & Succulent Soil has incredible ingredients that will help your succulent plants to thrive beyond belief. These ingredients include fir bark, perlite, compost, sawdust meal, kelp meal and flour, gypsum, bone, and fishbone meal, and aged fir bark. All of these natural components work together to add essential nutrients and the ideal environment for desert plants.
Overall, this is one of the most versatile, high-quality, and nutrient-packed succulent soils on the market today.
What We Like:
- Comes in an 8-quart bag, great for large succulent gardens or desert landscaping
- Organic ingredients
- Affordable organic succulent soil option
- Perfect for both desert and jungle succulent species
- OMRI listed
- Safe for use around other plants, animals, and family. Also won’t harm the environment with artificial chemicals
6. Miracle-Gro Cactus, Palm & Citrus Potting Mix
From one of the biggest names in the gardening game, the Miracle-Gro Cactus, Palm, & Citrus Potting Mix is an affordable, fast-draining succulent soil enhanced with the famous Miracle-Gro Plant Food to create the healthiest, most vibrant succulents possible.
The plant food beads are enough to feed your succulent for up to 6 months of continuous nutrient outpouring. This soil is also incredibly fast-draining as to not allow water to pool at the roots or base of the stem and prevents soil compacting, which traps water and doesn’t allow for effortless root movement. The combination of in-soil food beads and optimal drainage ensures that your succulent will receive the highest amount of nutrients possible.
The only downside to this potting mix is that it isn’t sandy. Most succulent soils are generally both sandy and somewhat rocky and lightweight. This is a more universal-type soil, and may not be as good as the other soils on our list made specifically just for desert plants and succulents.
What We Like:
- Made by a reputable brand, Miracle-Gro
- Highly affordable
- Enhanced with plant food beads
- Drains fairly well
- Encourages vibrant coloring in plants
- A universal option
7. Succulent & Cactus Soil Mix – Premium Pre-Mixed Fast Draining Blend
Unlike most of the succulent soils on our list, this Premium Pre-Mixed Fast Draining Blend for Succulents is made of mostly non-organic materials — no dirt required! Instead, it uses one part Hard Japanese Akadama, one part USA Pumice, one part of Haydite, and one part New Zealand Pine Bark. This unique mix allows for optimal airflow to reach the roots of the succulents, as well as retains the required amount of water without holding any excess.
This Succulent Soil Blend is available for purchase in four sizes, including a 1.25-quart option, a 2.5-quart option, a 6-quart option, and a 12-quart option; making this a versatile soil choice that can be used for large succulent landscapes or a small backyard succulent garden. The 1.25 and 2.5-quart bags are conveniently resealable so that it maintains freshness for future use.
Overall, this unique soil mix for succulents is both visually appealing to look at, not messy, and perfect for the preferred environment of succulents. This is a great choice for indoor gardens or outdoor desert garden beds for a visually appealing landscape.
What We Like:
- A unique mix that doesn’t use dirt
- Allows increased airflow to the roots of the succulents
- Drains exceptionally well
- Visually appealing — great for use indoors or in large outdoor landscaping beds
- Not messy
- Comes in four size options
8. Sun Gro Horticulture Black Gold Cactus Mix
An affordable, 8-quart succulent soil mix, the Sun Gro Horticulture Black Gold Cactus Mix is a specifically-formulated soil for desert plants. It contains beneficial ingredients to mimic a succulent’s natural environment including, volcanic pumice sand humus, forest humus, and perlite.
This is a very gritty and loose soil, making it an excellent option for succulent roots. The roots of succulents will easily penetrate the soil and will receive lots of airflow through the divisions in the soil.
Because of the lightweight, loose consistency of the succulent soil, it drains exceptionally well, preventing pooling around the base of the stem or around the roots. The consistency of the soil also means that it won’t pack down like other soil types, decreasing airflow to the roots.
It’s recommended that a user adds an additional layer of perlite to the mix to encourage additional draining.
What We Like:
- Formulated specifically for succulents and other desert plants
- Contains beneficial, nutrient-rich ingredients
- 8-quart bag, great for succulent gardens of all types
- Soil is very gritty and loose inconsistency
- Drains quite efficiently
- Allows consistent airflow to the roots of the succulent
9. All Natural Succulent and Cactus Soil Mix by Perfect Plants
Available in a 4 and 8-quart bag, the All Natural Succulent and Cactus Soil Mix by Perfect Plants is great for succulent pots and gardens of various sizes. The bags are also resealable to keep the soil fresh, even after multiple uses.
It’s professionally blended to provide succulents with the top-notch water drainage and aeration that they need to thrive and this succulent soil is made from organic ingredients.
This succulent soil is made of a mix of Composted Pine Bark, Sand (a must for succulents), Garden Coir, and Perlite. It’s a simple mix but contains everything your succulent needs for vibrant color and to prevent wilting and water pooling. The soil is also very loose and allows the succulents roots to penetrate deeply into the mix and spread out comfortably.
What We Like:
- Available in a 4 and 8-quart bag to accommodate succulent gardens of all sizes
- Professionally blended
- Contains ingredients from organic and natural sources
- Provides ample aeration and water drainage for succulent plants
- Resealable bag to keep the soil fresh in storage
- Very affordable for the quality and quantity
- Soil is very loose and great for root expansion
10. Fat Plants San Diego Premium Organic Cacti and Succulent Soil
A superb mix with an affordable price tag, the Fat Plants San Diego Premium Organic Succulent Soil Mix is crafted with the finest quality ingredients. It contains nutrient-enriched, professionally mixed ingredients including potassium, nitrogen, and phosphorus to feed your plant up to 8 months, without the need for any additional succulent feeders.
This is a pH-balanced formula that is made specifically with cacti and succulents in mind and provides optimal drainage around the roots to prevent pooling and root and stem rot. The formula is 100% organic and is light and airy to allow for exceptional aeration to the roots. The lightweight consistency of the soil also allows the roots of the succulent plant to expand without much effort, encouraging consistent growth.
With this exceptional succulent soil, you can expect your succulents to grow, thrive, and sprout beautiful, colorful shoots and blooms. You can purchase this soil in a ½ gallon bag, a gallon bag, 2-gallon bags, and 4, 6, and 8-gallon bags, depending on the size of your succulent garden and how often you plan to use the succulent soil — all of which are relatively affordable.
What We Like:
- 100% organic ingredients
- Lightweight soil allows the roots to expand
- Provides optimal water drainage
- Water won’t pool around stems or roots
- Encourages growth and vibrant coloring
- Contains high-quality nutrients that will feed your plant for up to 8 months without additional fertilization
- Comes in 6 affordable size options
11. Bonsai Jack Succulent and Cactus Soil
With thousands of raving reviews and happy users, the Bonsai Jack Succulent and Cactus Soil is a gardening force to be reckoned with. It comes in four sizes: a 2-quart bag, a gallon bag, a 2-gallon bag, and a 3.5-gallon bag to best fit your succulent gardening needs (all of which are surprisingly affordable for the quality and quantity you receive).
This gritty mix is lightweight and porous, which allows for proper aeration down to the roots of succulent plants. It’s formulated to prevent root and stem rot and encourages water to drain thoroughly and evaporate from the surface quickly, while still retaining enough moisture to keep the succulent well watered.
This succulent soil mix has a pH of 5.5, meaning that it’s geared toward more acid-loving plants, which includes all ranges of succulent and cacti plants. It contains the finest, succulent-loving ingredients including Monto Clay, Pine Coir, and Bonsai Block, and is derived from organic matter, proudly tested and reclaimed in the USA for quality.
It’s a pathogen-free soil, so you can ensure that both you, your family, and your plants are healthy and free of any harmful elements.
What We Like:
- Pathogen free soil that is safe for your plant and your family
- pH of 5.5 — perfect for all varieties of succulent plants
- Soil is gritty and encourages aeration down to the root system of the plant
- Optimal water drainage to prevent pooling and root and stem rot
- Made with succulent-loving ingredients to encourage growth and vibrant coloring
- Made in the USA and tested in labs for quality
- Comes in four sizes to choose from
- Relatively inexpensive
12. Aloe Vera Soil Blend
This 2-quart bag of Aloe Vera Soil Blend Mix is specifically formulated for succulent plants such as Aloe Vera. It’s made with peat moss, sand, perlite, and lime, to provide a slightly acidic, yet nourishing soil for your succulents.
It’s very affordable, at only a few dollars, and at this affordable price, you get pretty decent quality. For example, the sand, along with the perlite, encourage optimal water drainage compared to other succulent soils which contain only one of these water-dispersing ingredients in order to prevent pooling, compacting soil, and inefficient aeration to the roots.
This bag contains enough soil to repot 3 to 4 small plants or 1 to 2 medium-sized succulent plants.
What We Like:
- Very affordable, a great budget buy
- Contains 2-quarts of soil, enough to repot 4 small plants or 2 medium succulents
- Contains both perlite and sand for increased water drainage and evaporation
- Contains lime for a more acidic environment tailored specifically for succulents
- Great for Aloe Vera plants primarily, but can work for a range of succulents
When it comes to caring for your succulent plants, the best way to ensure that your succulent will live a long, vibrant life is by planting it in the correct soil. You’ll want to choose a soil that contains the right ingredients for water drainage and root aeration, while also nourishing the plant with food.
Out of all of the options we reviewed, our favorite soil for succulents is the Bonsai Jack Succulent and Cactus Soil. It’s made from organic ingredients, is lab tested for cleanness and quality, comes in various sizes to best suit your needs, and is formulated with succulent-loving ingredients to help your succulent thrive for years to come.
The Bonsai Jack Succulent and Cactus Soil, very importantly, has a pH balance of 5.5, which is ideal for a range of succulent plants. It’s also relatively affordable, even for those who may be on a budget.
Overall, the quality and quantity that you get is exceptional compared to the other options on our list. However, all of the succulent soils in our review contain high-quality ingredients that will help your succulent thrive and provide essential nutrients.