Mowing the lawn can be a hassle for any homeowner. The insane amount of time it takes can become extremely monotonous. Now add multiple acres and hills to the mix and that boring job becomes an obnoxious one.
Zero turn lawn mowers are an excellent solution to the regular push mower or mower suitable for flat terrain when you have a hilly landscape.
With a zero turn lawn mower, you’ll be able to get rid of the need to return to a missed patch of grass or having to go back to trees and landscape edges with a weedwhacker.
You will also do away with scalping the grass as you incline up hills – or even worse – losing your momentum and having to push the mower.
In this article, we are going to prepare you for a great mowing experience with some of the best zero turn mowers for hills and hard jobs on the market.
- 1. Husqvarna Kawasaki Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Lawn Mower
- 2. Ariens Ikon X Mower
- 3. Craftsman Z525 Zero Turn Gas Powered Lawn Mower
- 4. Snapper 560Z 52-Inch 25HP Briggs & Stratton Commercial Engine Zero Turn Lawn Mower w/ Cargo Bed
- 5. SLE Equipment Swisher ZT2760B 60-Inch 27 HP Zero Turn Riding Mower
- 6. Husqvarna MZ61 61 in. 27 HP Briggs & Stratton Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower
- 7. Troy-Bilt Mustang Fit Riding Lawn Mower with 34-Inch Deck and 452cc Engine
- Zero Turn Mower for Hills Buying Guide
- Final Thoughts
Our Top Picks for Zero Turn Mowers for Hills
There are plenty of lawn mower brands on the market that will try to convince you that they are the best zero turn mowers around, but not all zero turn lawn mowers are suited for hilly terrain.
During our search for the best zero turn lawn mowers for hills, we looked for mowers that can continuously cut the grass evenly when escalating up a hill, and when going back down the other side.
Below is a list of zero turn mowers we feel are up for the challenge of a questionable landscape.
1. Husqvarna Kawasaki Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Lawn Mower
The Kawasaki Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower has some amazing capabilities when it comes to handling the obstacles of hills and the uneven ground when mowing your lawn.
If you own a landscaping business, live on the hilly property, or find yourself in charge of trimming up your local golf course, you will want to make sure you own a lawnmower prepared to overcome the obstacles associated with not mowing on a flat surface and able to get within inches of large objects. Husqvarna successfully combined power and ease into one mower.
This zero turn lawn mower is one of the best commercial mowers for hills, with its roll-over protection system you can feel comfortable and safe going up and over any steep slopes.
This Kawasaki riding mower offers its rider an easy-to-adjust deck lifting system so you can get the cut you want and need without scalping the lawn.
The zero turn capabilities built into this mower creates an easy glide when mowing your yard, allowing you to zip through the job in no time at all.
What We Like:
- A 61-inch cutting deck makes even the largest yards a short and easy project.
- The rollover protection puts safety first. Even the biggest hills will be an easy job and you won’t have to worry about steep hills creating dangerous situations.
- The comfortable cushion and large wheel offer a smooth ride that won’t leave you feeling sore at the end of your project.
- The gas tank holds 5 gallons of gas at a time, giving you a long riding time between fills.
- 26hp Kohler 747cc 7000 Series V-Twin Engine gives this mower enough power to get through the roughest terrain.
2. Ariens Ikon X Mower
The Ariens Ikon X lawnmower is not only powerful but affordable. With a lower price tag than many of its competitors, the Ariens Ikon X gives you the satisfaction of a great landscape without breaking the bank. Rigged with a 23 HP, 726cc V-Twin Kawasaki FR series engine it will cut your lawn in half the time of your average lawn tractor.
The design of this zero turn lawn mower is simple but comfortable, which makes the quality of the ride almost enjoyable. Ariens designed this mower with a high back seat to accommodate riders of various heights, and a full bar armrest padded for your comfort.
Built with a sturdy 4-point hanging deck system, you know you are getting a superior trim. This mower also offers up a foot-operated deck lift with an easy-to-turn height adjusting dial, giving you the ability to maneuver up and down a hill with ease and precision. That is why this mower made it on our list of the best zero turn mowers for hills.
What We Like:
- Simple to use dial and foot lift for deck makes transitioning to the high ground easier.
- The high back comfort seating for good lumbar support and a pain-free ride
- Padded full bar armrest to reduce vibration in your upper body.
- 52-inches of the cutting area making for a quicker, and more even cut every time
- Low noise compared to other lawnmowers on the market
3. Craftsman Z525 Zero Turn Gas Powered Lawn Mower
Craftsman mowers have been a popular, well-trusted hardware company for many years. Craftsman has provided homeowners and businesses with the best quality in products across the board and this zero turn, the gas-powered mower is no exception.
To make it one of the best commercial zero turn mowers for hills, they incorporated a dual hydrostatic transmission to prevent slipping and added traction.
This zero-turn mower has a ready to start Briggs and Stratton making the “get up a go” a breeze. It has a smooth transfer to reverse cutting so you never have to stop and turn around.
Also included is a high back, comfort fit seat giving you a smooth ride and preventing soreness after you’ve finished mowing.
Craftsman also threw in a built-in cleaning system to make after job clean up nothing more than turning on a hose and washing away debris. If you have a large yard you are going to want this mower in your garage due to its easy cleaning, high-quality construction, and easy maneuverability up and down hilly landscapes.
What We Like:
- Hydrostatic transmission making a safer ride up hills
- High back seat for comfort
- Zero-turn radius makes it easier to get around the lawn
- Quicker cutting time than a regular mower.
- Craftsman built, so you know the quality is exceptional and professional
- Built-in cleaning system to clear out the deck after every use.
4. Snapper 560Z 52-Inch 25HP Briggs & Stratton Commercial Engine Zero Turn Lawn Mower w/ Cargo Bed
This Snapper made riding mower is an everyday zero turn mower with commercial-grade features. This mower can be used for just about any lawn and will get the job done in no time. Snapper has incorporated steel-made axles and transaxles with a wrap-around bumper making this machine ideal for all types of terrain.
With these qualities, it’s no wonder it’s one of the best zero turn mowers for hills. Snapper is putting out all the stops to give you peace of mind while handling their well-designed mower.
Along with their safe and durable mower, you also have the convenience of the cargo bed designed into the back of the mower itself. With this compartment, you can carry any of the tools needed to help get your lawn work done quicker, so you can spend more time doing the things you enjoy.
What We Like:
- Built-in storage cargo bed, allowing you to bring along all your tools or move dirt and debris.
- Built-in bumper making the climb uphill feel safer
- Wide mouth gas fill, keeping yourself safe of gas spills.
- Speeds up to 9 miles per hour, cutting lawn work time down tremendously.
- Its all-steel construction design keeps your mower going on all terrains.
- Commercial grade mower in a residential package.
5. SLE Equipment Swisher ZT2760B 60-Inch 27 HP Zero Turn Riding Mower
This Swisher mower was designed with a lower center gravity and lower profile than other mowers giving the ability to make a smooth zero-turn cut. It is a heavy-duty mower with an 8-gallon gas tank offering you a longer ride with fewer refills.
Designed with a 27 HP Briggs & Stratton Extended Life Series V-Twin Electric Start Engine you can hop on the mower and you are ready to go. The start-up will be smooth and effortless.
It is built with a 60-inch cutting radius to cover more area as you go. This seems to be one of the best commercial mowers for hills as it offers a hydrostatic transmission along with dual easy to control arm bars making control the mower up and down hills a cinch.
This mower was equipped to make your life a breeze while mowing a lawn of various hilly extremes. It has a built-in storage department to keep your essential items close, and it offers a generous amount of foot space on its perfectly designed anti-slip deck.
What We Like:
- Dual-arm controls for more efficient control
- Lower profile for a smoother-looking cut.
- 60-inch deck offering a large range of areas covered.
- 8-gallon fuel tank
- Easy to see gages and fuel levels
- A storage compartment to keep tools, phone, or water
- Anti-slip maps
- High back seat with a 6-inch slide adjuster for comfort
- A generous amount of foot space.
6. Husqvarna MZ61 61 in. 27 HP Briggs & Stratton Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower
Husqvarna MZ61 gas powered zero turn riding mower is top in its class. Although it has a much higher price tag than some of its competitors it is well worth the money. This is by far one of the best commercial-grade zero turn mowers for hills we have seen thus far.
With its 27 HP Briggs Endurance engine, you are going to notice a difference in speed and ability compared to that of a normal lawn mower.
If your summer months are booked solid with landscaping jobs, or mowing your own lawn, you will benefit from this mower being part of your landscaping arsenal. It offers you high backed seats, foam covered handgrips, and vibration-reducing material to make your ride enjoyable.
This machine was designed with an easy access service area, meaning you can get your maintenance, such as oil changes, done with ease. This is definitely a zero turn lawn mower you’ll want to consider for your hilly backyard.
What We Like:
- Foam covered vibration-reducing hand grips for a nice ride.
- High back seating for comfort
- Easy access to servicing the area so oil changes are less of a hassle
- Hour meter to notify you when it is time to service your mower.
- Peddle assist deck lift, making transitioning up the hills less stressful.
- Sleek design for a professional look.
7. Troy-Bilt Mustang Fit Riding Lawn Mower with 34-Inch Deck and 452cc Engine
Troy-Bilt has successfully created a zero-turn mower that is compact but still delivers a great cut.
This machine has earned its way to the list of the best zero turn mowers for hills with its ability to maneuver itself safely through all-terrain without any problems. For its smaller size, this mower can hold its own.
With only a 34-inch cut path, it does not stand up to the bigger commercial mowers cutting capability, but that does not make it any less of a mower.
This mower can still handle a large job, with its hydrostatic transmission and its 452-cc engine, this mower can still deliver a great cut and tackle even the thickest of grass.
It is versatile and comfortable, and best of all, its zero-turn radius means less time mowing and a cleaner cut lawn.
What We Like:
- The small compact size makes storing and maneuvering simple.
- High back seating with springs for a comfortable ride.
- Ample foot room on deck.
- Lap bar steering gives you easy control of the mower.
- 8 position height adjustment to give your lawn the perfect cut.
- Easily reversible mow to back up without stopping to turn.
- Premium grade deck wash to keep your mower and garage clean.
Zero Turn Mower for Hills Buying Guide
When you’re on the market for the best zero turn lawn mowers for hills, you are going to want to be sure you are purchasing a sturdy, durable machine that is rugged and built tough.
You are also going to want a mower that can power through any terrain without losing power or momentum, while still giving you an even cut.
A quality zero turn mower is going to be fast and strong conquering even the toughest tasks.
Zero-turn mowers are not the average lawn mower, they are designed to do more work with less effort. These machines come with a hefty price tag but are worth the money. Make sure you are getting what you need.
The Zero-turn mowers are for commercial companies with a long day and large workload, they are also for homeowners with acres of land to clear, and for residential areas that must keep up to code. All the zero turn mowers on our list fit the bill.
Zero-turn mowers have the design and power for the average commercial workload. This does not mean it can not be used as an everyday backyard mower.
If you are going to purchase this machine for your home and yard, make sure you are looking for one that will tackle your specific jobs.
These machines are designed to make turning quick and simple and allow you to edge closer to obstacles than other lawn mowers on the market.
Look for a machine that will hold plenty of gas, and has a hydraulic transmission letting you maneuver with ease.
If you are going to pay the price of a high-quality mower, then you should get the features of a high-quality mower. Look for comfortable adjustable seating, padded foam armrest, and plenty of space.
Get a mower that feels right for you, the more comfortable you are on the mower the better the ride will feel.
If you are a taller person who needs more room, some mowers offer more foot space so you are not feeling so cramped in, as well as a higher backrest.
If you own a landscaping business and your clientele includes golf courses and parks, you are going to want a bigger mower with a larger deck. You are going to want to cut the most amount of grass in the shortest amount of time.
If you are looking for something to mow the average back lawn, you are going to want to find a smaller compact zero-turn mower.
You will also want to be sure you are not going for too big of a zero turn lawn mower if you don’t have the garage space to accommodate.
When purchasing a mower to make mowing up hills or through rough terrain easier, you are going to want control.
When decided the best zero turn lawn mower for you, see what feels right. Do you want duel arm controls or a body length lap bar?
Most of the higher quality machines come with a foot-controlled deck lift but be sure yours has one. This is going to make raising your deck while moving up and down hills much easier to do.
Make sure you are doing your homework when purchasing your zero-turn riding mower. See what others have to say. Do not just look at their start count but read the reviews.
Seeing what others experience with the mower has been will help you decide if it is worth your time.
Be sensible when relying on the reviews. The reviews give you guidance with what you should be thinking about when researching your mowers.
Remember, someone who gives a poor review because their mower was delivered red and not green should not affect your decision.
Make sure you are shopping around for a zero turn lawn mower that is made of quality materials that will last through years of use.
Do your research on each company and be sure they have high credentials. Many great companies have a well-designed sturdy mower.
Unfortunately, some do not stand up to their word. People have been disappointed in the past because the amazing machine they were promised did not hold up to the job.
Although there are a handful of very well-known companies in the industry, that does not mean there are not great small businesses. Do not let the popularity of a place be your only source. Many smaller companies have had the reputation of squashing bigger businesses.
Look for a zero turn lawn mower made with very few plastic parts, and are made with higher quality metal parts.
The first price is never the best. Or is it? Always shop around for the best price for your budget. More importantly, always shop on time.
The best time to purchase a lawn mower is right after the end of the mowing season. Fall is a perfect time to start shopping around. Sellers are getting rid of the old at a lower price to prepare to bring in the new.
Also, choose your stores wisely. Find someone who wants to help you find the best zero turn mower for you.
These people will ask what your main expectations are, what you will be using it for the most, and how big of an area you are planning on covering.
Keep in mind that buying a quality mower at a higher price is a worthwhile investment, especially if you have a large yard that requires lots of maintenance, or if you own landscaping business.
Don’t just buy a cheap lawn mower to save money now. In the long run, a cheaply made lawn mower will cost you more in the long run.
With all the trouble that comes with landscaping, finding the best zero turn mower for hills can be yet another difficult task. Anyone with any knowledge in the landscaping world can tell you there is no cookie-cutter answer.
The perfect mower for you will depend on your specific needs. There is a zero turn mower perfect for clearing spring brush from a bumpy baseball field or nose-diving down a hill.
You can also find a mower for your small back lawn full of thick brush or your unsuccessful vegetable gardens that just need to go.
No matter what the job is, there is a zero-turn mower for everyone’s needs. All the mowers on our list are a great start to finding the best mower for you.