Caring for your lawn properly means weeding frequently and fertilizing at the correct time of year. Unfortunately, weeding can be utterly back-breaking work, and fertilizing, while relatively easy, isn’t that much fun, either.
If your lawn has started to fall under the command of weeds and is looking a little run down, you’re probably considering pulling out the herbicide. But wait! Before you lug out the chemicals and get to work, consider combining weeding and fertilization into one step by using a weed and feed solution.
7 Best Weed and Feed Solutions
1. Scotts Turf Builder Weed & Feed
Scotts most powerful weed and feed solution, Turf Builder Weed & Feed is 2x more powerful than the formula’s old version. The solution utilizes a selective herbicide as well as high-quality fertilizer to provide a quick and easy fix for lawns that have been overgrown and choked out by weeds.
The product is ideal for the removal of stubborn weeds like dandelion and clovers, effectively stopping them in their tracks and aiding in their replacement. Weeds are removed fully thanks to the product’s unique Weed Grip Technology. Within 24 hours after application, the product is dry and safe for children and pets.
It can be used on most common grass types including ryegrass, Bermuda, and fescue, and is ideal for lawns of all shapes and sizes. For your convenience, the product comes in two package sizes, allowing you to choose which size is best for your needs.
- Weed Grip technology
- Safe to use on most lawn types
- 2x stronger than the previous version of a product
- Aids in the growth of lush, healthy grass
- Not suitable for every type of lawn
2. Spectracide Weed & Feed 20-0-0
With the ability to treat up to 7,500 square feet of lawn and a reputation for destroying weeds from the roots up, Weed & Feed 2-0-0 is a reliable product that homeowners around the country swear by. Its purpose is to effectively remove the toughest of weeds in a manner that is both quick and easy, which it does effectively.
It’s been known to kill chickweed, dandelion, clover, and a whole host of other broadleaf weeds that are common in grassy areas. While using the built-in hose connection point makes application a breeze, the entire process is made even more convenient because the product can be applied at any time during the season, so long as weeds are present.
In addition to killing active weeds, the mixture also works to improve the quality of the soil in the area, fertilizing the grass and other plants. It uses 20% nitrogen to achieve great results. As a result, lawns are left weed-free and full of healthy grass.
- Easy application via garden hose
- Uses nitrogen to fertilize soil and plants
- Can be applied anytime during the weed growing season
- Removes weeds long term
- Reports of inconsistent flow from the hose attachment
3. Scotts Turf Builder Southern Triple Action
Southern Triple Action by Scotts Turf Builder is a 3-in-1 product that targets the prevention and killing of weeds, as well as fertilizes the weeded area. Together, these 3 components make for a healthy, weed-free lawn that looks great.
Grasses that are usually patchy and unappealing are given a facelift, transforming into a sea of healthy, lush greenery that would make any homeowner proud.
The product can be safely used on a number of common Southern grass species such as Centipede, St. Augustine, and Carpet grass. Its specialized formula kills weeds like dandelions and clover while simultaneously preventing pest infestations and improving soil quality. This soil quality improvement paves the way for long term lawn health and gardening success.
After calculating lawn size and how much product you need, the application is easy. Requiring no mixing or preparation, it can be poured into a spreader and then laid out on the grass. After application, the product begins to work immediately, yielding total weed death within 6 weeks. Most weeds are gone by the 10-day mark.
- 3-in-1 weed and feed formula
- Safe on most grass species
- Quick, effective results
- Easy to use formula
- Not ideal for cool climates
4. Greenview Weed & Feed and Crabgrass Preventer
Greenview’s Weed & Feed and Crabgrass Preventer is a high-quality, professional-grade compound that allows the average homeowner to achieve a beautiful, weed-free lawn without the cost of hiring a professional. The product is available in two sizes: 18-lb and 36-lb, with the 18-lb bag covering an area of up to 5,000 square feet and the larger bag covering up to 10,000 square feet.
While its proprietary formula works to kill dandelions and other pesky weeds, its slow release nitrogen-rich formula works to fertilize and improve soil quality. The nitrogen is released over 12 weeks to ensure that your lawn is fertilized and set up for long term growth.
In addition, the formula also prevents the growth of crabgrass by disrupting its growth and killing seedlings before they sprout. Together, these three properties make it easy to maintain an appealing lawn.
It can be used safely on common grasses like fescue, ryegrass, Bermuda, and Kentucky bluegrass, however, it should not be used on St. Augustine grasses in Florida.
- Slow-release fertilizer for long term plant growth
- Prevents crabgrass growth
- Kills stubborn weeds
- Safe to use on most grasses
- Not for use on certain grasses
5. Bio Advanced All-in-One Weed & Feed
Designed with the ultimate ease of use and effectiveness in mind, Bio Advanced’s All-in-One Weed & Feed is the ideal product for simplifying the process of weeding. Not only do the pebble-like granules destroy weeds like chickweed, clover, and dandelions, but they also fertilize the surrounding soil.
Each bag of product contains thousands of granules and is jam-packed full of weed-killing ingredients and a slow-release nitrogen product that keeps soil in the peak condition for growing grass and other plants.
In addition, every bag comes equipped with Micro Feed Technology that increases nutrient absorption. This technology also fortifies grass roots and increases the grass’s resistance to drought and hot weather.
Moreover, All-in-One Weed & Feed has been specially designed to be used as a weed and feed for lawns in the Northern hemisphere. It can be used on cool-climate turfs without risk of damage. If it’s used on Bermuda grass, minor yellowing or discoloration can occur but should subside without permanent damage.
- Micro Feed Technology for drought resistance and maximum nutrient absorption
- Safe for use on cold-climate grasses
- Destroys dandelions and other tough weeds
- Slow-release fertilization
- Yellows common Bermuda grass
6. Preen One Lawn Care Weed & Feed
Preen One Lawn Care Weed & Feed is a one-step treatment for weeds, crabgrass, and lawns that are failing to thrive. The formula is easy to apply, simple in its makeup, and ideal for lawns of all shapes and sizes.
It’s highly effective formula works to kill dandelions and over 200 other species of broadleaf weeds, while also targeting crabgrass seedlings. In the same breath, it also fertilizes any area that it’s applied to by releasing nitrogen into the soil over a course of 12 weeks. It kills hardy weeds within one application.
This pre-emergent weed solution can be applied to an assortment of established turfgrasses. These include a variety of both cool and warm-season grass, making the product very versatile.
In addition, grass that is nourished by the product comes back looking healthier, less patchy, and more vibrant in color.
- Safe or use on warn and cool-season grasses
- Kills weeds from the roots up
- Zero phosphate formula that nourishes grass
- One application lasts all season
- A lawn needs to be moist before application
7. Scotts Turf Builder Starter
Using Scotts Turf Builder Starter Food + Weed Preventer is an easy way to get the health of your lawn moving in the right direction. Using a 2-in-1 formula, the product prevents the growth of common weeds while also fertilizing and feeding the healthy grasses in the area. It is ideal for kickstarting the growth of newly planted grass seeds.
The mixture can be applied using your favorite spreader, with little to no mess and even less hassle.
After application, weeds turn white and die quickly. New weeds that grow follow the same routine, changing color and withering away within days of establishing themselves. Weeds that are effectively prevented by the product are kept at bay for up to 6 months at a time.
- Gentle enough to be used on any type of grass
- Fertilizes and prevents weeds
- Prevents weeds for 6 months
- Easy to apply with a spreader
- Quite expensive
Best Weed and Feed Spray Buying Guide
Despite grass looking relatively the same – long, thin, and green – grass is actually a plant with many species. Like the varying species of one animal, different species of grass benefit from different things.
In terms of weed and feed, this means that some types of grass respond better to certain fertilizers, while others yield no result from them. Before buying and applying a weed and feed, you need to figure out which type of grass you have.
This is because some fertilizers can burn certain types of grass, so you need a fertilizer that will be both gentle and effective on you your specific grass species.
Types of Weed & Feed
There are two types of weed and feed solutions: granular and liquid. Both types have their own set of advantages and disadvantages.
Granular is the oldest type of weed and feed. It has been used for decades and is trusted by professionals. This being said, it also tends to be a bit more work to apply and can be hard to lift and carry from one place to another.
Liquid weed and feed is a new concept. It’s easy to apply, doesn’t usually require any preparation, and is a lot easier to carry form the front lawn to the back lawn than a big bag of granular product is. However, it hasn’t been tested as much and doesn’t have much of a reputation. It can also be expensive.
The size of your lawn is going to play a huge role in which weed and feed you purchase. Although you could technically use any of the available weed and feed options that are safe for your grass, some prove to be better options than others.
This comes down to the volume of the product and the value you get for your money when you make a purchase and head outside to use the product. A large lawn is not ideal for small bottles of liquid weed and feed, for example. You’d need multiple bottles to get the job done!
If you have outdoor pets or children who like to play outside, you might want to pay special attention to the safety of the weed and feed you have in mind. While almost all weed and feeds use some sort of chemical, safety risks, and precautions can vary greatly by product and company.
Some weed and feeds are safe to touch within hours, while others can take two or three days to be considered safe to be around. This might not be practical if you have pets who go outside to use the washroom, or children who use the lawn for soccer practice.
Along with the safety of your children and pets, you also need to consider your own safety. Most weed and feeds aren’t dangerous to spread, but whenever you’re using a chemical it’s a good idea to at least put on a pair of rubber safety gloves. If you don’t feel safe using weed and feeds with chemicals period, consider opting for a natural weed and feed, which is likely to be much safer.
Post-emergent vs Pre-emergent Weed & Feed: What’s the Difference?
There are two varieties of weed and feed: pre-emergent and post-emergent. Knowing which of the two to look for is critical in order to treat your lawn without causing damage or wasting money.
Pre-emergent weed and feed is used to kill weeds before they grow, allowing you to apply it to laws that have already been established and have no current weed problems. It is, essentially, a preventative.
Pre-emergent weed and feed should be applied every year at the start of the spring season. This prevents the weeds from recovering from the prior treatment and re-growing, It’s ideal to use the product yearly because even if the previous year’s weeds have been dealt with, the wind is constantly moving weed seeds around and dropping them onto your lawn.
Post-emergent weed and feed is an herbicide designed for weeds that have already grown and are prominent and easy to see. Generally, the frequency in which you apply this kind of product is determined by how quickly the weeds appear in the yard.
Weed & Feed Tips and Tricks
1. If you’re unsure of which type of grass you have outside, you can find out by taking a small sample to your local tree nursery or garden expert. Any experienced gardener will be able to take one look at your sample and decide which type of grass you have.
2. To boost the effectiveness of your product, mow your lawn 1-2 days before you apply it. Then, the clippings from the next three or four mows should be quickly discarded and not used as mulch or for flower beds, as they’re likely to contain chunks of weed that could start to grow.
3. Weed and feed products only work on broadleaf weeds. This includes an array of the most common weeds including dandelions, chickweed, and henbit, but excludes plants like crabgrass. You’ll need a different product to deal with weeds that don’t have leaves for the product to settle on.
4. Don’t skip the mowing! Before you use a weed and feed, be sure to lug out that old lawn mower and go over the lawn a day or two before. Although it’s not the most fun summer activity, it is necessary. Mowing allows weeds to better absorb non-systemic solutions and gives systemic solutions better access to the soil.
5. Take care to avoid spreading weed and feed on flower beds, vegetable gardens, or plants that you don’t want to kill. Weed and feeds target broadleaf plants and are not selective when it comes to whether the plant is a weed or not; if it touches a broadleaf plant, it will kill it.
6. When using weed and feed around flower beds or the edges of gardens, use a drop spreader to apply. Or, you can choose to cover the area you wish to protect with plastic until you have finished the application.
7. If you feel that you have applied too much product, the best thing to do is try and flush out the excess. You can do this by watering the area with 1-2 inches of water for a total of four days. Don’t apply any more product until the next season.
8. Avoid getting the product in your eyes or on your skin. Should the product get in the eyes, flush them for 15 minutes with clean water. If it gets on your skin, a thorough washing should do the trick; wear long sleeves, pants, and safety glasses for application.
Weed and Feed Frequently Asked Questions
Any of the weed and feeds we talked about above are great options. To decide which one is best, you should take into consideration the factors we mentioned.
The best weed and feed for spring is, in general, any product that is designed to be applied during the spring season.
No, weed and feeds are designed for use on grass and grass only. Using them on other plants can result in the burning of foliage and damage to the plant’s roots.
In most cases, weed and feed solutions can be applied once per season. Some do, however, require more frequent applications.
Yes. Most weed and feed products recommend mowing the lawn 1 or 2 days before application to maximize the results of the product.
The “feed” portion of weed and feed products is a fertilizer. Usually, this fertilizer is made of a combination of nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus.
Weed & feed products are best suited for large areas with weed problems. There are other, more precise products that can be used in smaller areas.
Weed & feed products are quite safe for use. They should not be inhaled, ingested, or otherwise absorbed into the body but are relatively harmless when used correctly.
Weed and feeds are popular home gardening products. They’re not only useful but convenient and easy to use, too. Do you use weed and feeds? If so, which one is your favorite?
If you don’t have a favorite or are looking to find a new favorite, we’d highly recommend trying out the ones on our list. Each of the products are top quality and have a good reputation among users.
When trying to decide between the given options, though, don’t forget to keep our checklist in mind! Be sure to look for a weed and feed that you feel comfortable using, is safe on your type of grass, and that is available in sensible package size.
Keeping these things in mind, it’ll be easy to find the best weed and feed for you and your needs.